Paul McGann (the Doctor), James Bachman (Hugh Bainbridge), Shelley Conn (Asha Qureshi), Joe Thomas (Theo Lawson), Niky Wardley (Juliet Walsh), Sabina Franklyn (Wanda Rothman), Tony Millan (Leonard Pallister), Joanna Kanska (Rachel), Barnaby Edwards (Rafshaw)
TRAVELLER IN TIME AND SPACE seeks male or female companion with good sense of humour for adventures in the Fourth and Fifth Dimensions.
No experience necessary.
No time wasters, no space wasters please.
- Situation Vacant was the second release of the fourth series of The New Eighth Doctor Adventures.
- The applicants for the position of companion are responding to an advertisement placed in various newspapers.
- Theo tells the Doctor that that he has met people on the Internet who claim to be aliens but are unable to provide evidence.
- The Doctor’s fellow renegade Time Lord, the Monk, was the time traveller who placed the advertisement in the newspapers and arranged the dangerous scenarios to test his potential companions. (The Book of Kells, The Resurrection of Mars)
- The robot is equipped with a USB port.
- Dr. Pallister was working on creating sentient software before his disappearance.
Asha Qureshi, who is in actuality Lantis from the planet Imafiya, was on a research mission when she was separated from her companions. She has been stranded on Earth since 1995, having been unable to repair her broken recall device due to the comparatively primitive nature of human technology.
- Theo Lawson hacked into several multinational banks and acquired enough money for the rest of his life, thereby triggering the late 2000s recession in the process. At the time that he saw the advertisement for a travelling companion, the authorities were closing in on him and he felt that travelling in the TARDIS was his only means of his escape. When the opportunity presents itself, he reprograms Pallister’s robots to obey his commands so that he can use them to take over Earth.
Given the fact that she remained level headed through the various crises in the hotel, the Doctor obliquely offers Rachel, the hotel manager, the chance to travel with him in the TARDIS. However, she tells him that she loves her job and that she does not have any great urge to travel. As the Doctor leaves, she politely asks him not to consider the hotel for his next event. The Doctor apologises for the damage done to the hotel but Rachel tells him that she does not really care all that much since it is not her hotel, she just works there.
- Tamsin Drew created the personality of a determined career woman named Juliet Walsh to increase her chances of being taken on as a companion. She had been planning to give up her acting career and get a proper job prior to seeing the advertisement. She laments to the Doctor that, while she had enough money to pay the bills most months, her career never took off and she was never cast in the roles that she wanted. In more recent years, she has been put up for the roles of mothers considerably more often than girlfriends.
- Hugh Bainbridge is the pseudonym for a genetically engineered vampire named Drusis, who put on a bumbling, amiable public school boy personality so that the Doctor’s expectations of him would be low and he would be more impressed later when he did something heroic. Given that he is a vampire, he could not enter the TARDIS without being invited. He planned to drink the Doctor’s blood so as to obtain his genetic material, allowing him to operate the TARDIS