A bizarre manifestation in the Control Room forces the TARDIS onto the Plutonian shores of the irradiated world Nevermore, whose sole inhabitant is the war criminal Morella Wendigo – a prisoner of this devastated planet. But the Doctor and his new companion aren’t Morella’s only visitors. Senior Prosecutor Uglosi fears the arrival of an assassin, after the blood of his prize prisoner. An assassin with claws…
There’s no escape from Nevermore, whose raven-like robot jailers serve to demonstrate Uglosi’s macabre obsession with the works of the 19th century horror writer Edgar Allan Poe. An obsession that might yet lead to the premature burial of everyone on the planet’s surface – wreathed in the mist they call the Red Death!
- Nevermore was the third release of the fourth series of The New Eighth Doctor Adventures.
- During her childhood, Uglosi read Poe’s works to Berenice every night including The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar and The Mystery of Marie Rogêt.
- Tamsin did a module on escapology in drama school.
- The Doctor has a colony of Fledershrews in the TARDIS.
- The Doctor tells Tamsin that cats are very popular on Gallifrey and that it was standard for Lord Presidents to have cats until the incident with the giant mice. (The Mark of the Rani)
- The Doctor mentions that he was the protégé of the American escapologist Harry “Handcuff Harry” Houdini. (Planet of the Spiders)
- The Doctor tells Uglosi that he believes that there is only one renegade Time Lord who would manipulate others into wiping out the population of an entire planet and that he is “no longer around.” This is a presumably a reference to the Master, who met his death when he fell into the Eye of Harmony shortly after the Doctor’s most recent regeneration. (The TV Movie) However, during his tenth incarnation, the Doctor would encounter the Master once again. Unbeknownst to the Doctor, he had been resurrected by the Time Lords to fight the Daleks during the Last Great Time War. (Utopia, The Sound of Drums)