11 December 1966
Frazer Hines (Jamie), William Dysart (Alexander) , Donald Bisset (The Laird), Hannah Gordon (Kirsty), Michael Elwyn (Lt. Algernon Ffinch), Peter Welch (Sergeant) [1,3-4], David Garth (Solicitor Grey), Sydney Arnold (Perkins), Tom Bowman (Sentry) , Dallas Cavell (Trask) [2-4], Barbara Bruce (Mollie) , Andrew Downie (Willie Mackay) [3-4], Peter Diamond (Sailor) , Guy Middleton (Colonel Attwood) .
|Written by||Elwyn Jones/Gerry Davis|
|Directed by||Hugh David|
|Produced by||Innes Lloyd|
The TARDIS materialises in 1746 Scotland following the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie. There, the Doctor, Polly and Ben meet the McLarens and their piper, Jamie McCrimmon, who are being hunted by the English. The time travellers soon discover that a crooked solicitor named Grey is attempting to sell the Highlanders as slaves in the West Indies… and they are to be amongst the first shipment
- Introducing Jamie to the show.
- All episodes are missing but audio recordings and telesnaps exist. The soundtrack has been released as part of the BBC Radio Collection.
- Three censored clips from Episode 1 have been discovered in the Australian TV achives in 1996.
- Novelised as Doctor Who The Highlanders by Gerry Davis.
- The scripts of all episodes are available on the Scripts Project page. A photonovel of the story is available on the BBC Doctor Who website. Fan-produced photovideo reconstructions of the story have been made by Joint Venture and by Loose Cannon Productions.
- Doctor Who Magazine Archive: Issue #292.